Mindscapes Festival 2014
“Mindscapes. A secret place we can all go to, full of dreams, vision, thoughts and words. Come and share yours”
- Ralph Nelson
Find out more about Mindscapes and become our friend at https://www.facebook.com/mindscapesfestival or follow us #Mindscapes
The Mindscapes Mental Health Music and Arts Festival (Mindscapes Festival) is:
- Community events
- A collaboration between consumers, carers, services
- Aimed at strengthening social relationships within the community by providing a range of entertainment in a fun Atmosphere where all members of the family and community can participate in some way
- An opportunity to celebrate the capacity of people with mental illness to contribute to their community (especially via the Arts),
- A Mental Health Promotion activity
- A celebration of Mental Health week and World Mental Health Day
The Mindscapes Festival will include:
- Art and Photography Competition
- Poetry Performance
- National Short Film Festival
- Variety night
- Theatre Performance
The aim of the Mindscapes Festival is to bring people with mental illness into the heart of four community events, at an individual level we aim to improve the general wellbeing of people living with a mental illness, at a broader community level we hope to increase public understanding of mental health issues and reduce the stigma surrounding what is a relatively common issue. Statistics suggest that one in five people living in Canberra will experience mental health issues at one or more times during their life (ABS).
The Mindscapes Festival has aims to promote the idea of mental illness being associated with community, joy and acceptance. It is a whole of community event, and centres on conveying serious messages about mental health in a fun and entertaining environment. One of the key messages is that of Recovery and the belief that people with a mental illness can and do recover and go on to live fulfilling lives despite their experience of mental illness.
Mindscapes Festival Events 2014
Early bird information about the Mindscapes Festival!
Mindscapes Festival and Belconnen Arts Centre Acting Course!
Please note that this is a theatre group, not a therapeutic group. The content of the scenes we create or rehearse will not be about mental illness, unless participants want them to be.
Move – Speak – Act will be led by Robin Davidson, artistic director of Changing Places, Dramatic Recovery, Out Of Our Minds, and Imperfectly Sane and Imperfectly Sane Too.